Have you noticed that on your LinkedIn profile, below your photo, there is a tiny URL that is your “public profile” or “vanity URL?” Does this URL read like a really bad license plate with your name somewhere in the middle? If your answer is yes, let’s change that, right now.
You might be thinking, “that sounds so fancy and high-tech, but why do I need to change that URL?” The answer is simple; having a customized profile link on LI makes you look more tech-savvy and it is great personal branding. The cleaner link is easier to remember and looks much better in your email signature or on a business card. Oh, and it take about 2 minutes to fix. Now, let’s get to it!
1. Log in to your LinkedIn account and click “edit profile”
2. Click the “edit” button next to your current public profile URL *note the bad license plate appearance
3. Click the “customize your public profile URL” button. This will launch a pop-up window that will ask you to type in your desired vanity URL and click “set custom URL.” *note if there is already another user who has chosen the same desired URL, LinkedIn will offer alternate suggestions
4. Viola! Your custom URL is now set and you can start directing people to your LinkedIn profile immediately!
– Allie Basilica, Social Media Manager