Job satisfaction, we all want it, but we’re not exactly sure how to secure it. Partially because we believe our satisfaction is dependent on factors we don’t control…the work/life balance at our current organization, the way a manager chooses to motivate us, not getting delegated the specific tasks you want to work on. Admittedly there are some things affecting our job satisfaction that are not within our control, but that doesn’t mean that we have NO control!
Not satisfied in your job? Can’t quite put your finger on it but just know something is missing? Here’s a quick exercise most career coaches use to help you get to the core of what it is you should be doing with your life!
What Drives You
1. What did you dream about doing when you were a kid?
2. What would you do if you didn’t have to worry about making money?
3. Make a list of the above and you should start to see commonalities in the general skills that are not surprisingly most likely your strengths.
Your Natural Talents
1. What do people most appreciate about you and what you do?
2. What are the unique skills you have that people comment on at work or at home?
3. What traits do you possess that you excel in? For example are you always being thanked for your insight, objectivity, organizational skills…?
Your Work Values
1. What do you value in you work?
2. Do you appreciate the ability to work independently or is a team working environment something you value more?
3. Do you prefer constantly learning new skills or do you value having the opportunity to really fine-tune one particular skill?
Your combined answers to the questions above can guide you in your job search and will help you figure out if you’re on the right path or way off course. The good news is, if you’re off course, you’ll now have a roadmap to get you back on track.